Fox & Co Plumbing & Heating 8883 2223 - 07958 500 900
Fox & Co 

In April 2005, the Building Regulations for England and Wales changed in some very important ways. One of the Government's first steps in its action to seek improvements to the energy efficiency of homes is through changes in the building regulations which deal with the minimum standards for buildings. Read the full regulations below...

The Regulations are designed to ensure the health, safety and welfare of people in and around buildings and to encourage energy conservation.

From 1st April 2005:

• All gas boilers installed in England and Wales must be of the condensing type. Exceptions are allowed in certain exceptional circumstances and we cover this issue later.

• Details of all boiler installations must be supplied to the local authority building control. (LABC)

• Any electrical work that involves adding a new circuit must be either
a. completed by a person competent to carry out the work and notified/inspected by LABC or

b. completed by a competent person registered with a Part P self-certification scheme who must the notify the scheme provider.

• small jobs such as replacing socket outlets in kitchens and bathrooms must also be notified to the LABC.

More information on these issues can be found on the website of the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister.


From 1st April 2005 it is a requirement of the Building Regulations Part L1 (Conservation of Fuel and Power) that any replacement or new gas fired boiler be of the condensing type.

There are certain exceptional circumstances where a standard efficiency boiler may be installed and these are determined by an Assessment procedure.

The assessment is an evaluation of the property to find a position where a condensing boiler can be installed at lowest cost, ignoring obstacles such as furniture or fitments and disregarding whether or not the position is acceptable to the owner.

If a customer does not want a condensing boiler or it is too difficult and expensive to install one, the engineer will fill in an Assessment Form which is based on points system.

The points system has been developed so that a simple 'yes' or 'no' decision can be made as to whether or not a condensing boiler must be installed.
This Assessment will take into account:

• The property type (flat, semi-detached, detached etc)
• The fuel type
• If the boiler needs to be moved to another position.
• If the flue needs to be extended
• The need for a condensate soakaway or pump.

All feasible condensing boiler positions anywhere within the property and flue options, irrespective of whether they are acceptable to the owner will be taken into account including cost and feasibility. Should the points be lower than 1000 a high efficiency condensing boiler must be installed. If the points for the installation are higher than 1000, a standard efficiency boiler can be installed. An Assessment Form, signed by a competent person, must be kept as evidence of compliance with the Building Regulations and may be required when the house is sold.

Comprehensive copy of 'The Domestic Heating & Hot Water Guide to the Building Regulations 2001 - Part L1 can be read or downloaded from:


From 1st April 2005 CORGI introduced it's 'Complete Safety Initiative', new scheme whereby the installation of any new or replacement heat producing gas appliance in a residential dwelling must be notified to CORGI making your home a safer place and making it more difficult for bogus gas engineers to continue working.

Research has shown that faulty gas appliances are responsible for a number of deaths and injuries that occur in the home. In order to reduce this risk Gas Work Notification has been introduced to increase safety standards.

When a new or replacement installation has taken place, the CORGI engineer must notify CORGI that the work has been carried out and CORGI will issue the homeowner with a 'declaration of safety' or 'Building Regulations compliance certificate' confirming that the work has been carried out by a competent CORGI registered installer and that the installer meets the requirements of the relevant Gas and/or Building Regulations. Only CORGI registered installers are able to inform CORGI and thus enable the certificate to be issued.

This certificate will form part of the Home Information Pack which, from January 2007, will be required when selling a home.

Remember - Please ask for the CORGI card of anyone working on your gas appliances or controls.

You may download the full version of Part L document in PDF format from the IDHE site via :