Muswell Hill's Vanishing
is being kept alive - in postcard form - thanks to the efforts of retired head teacher
Mr Garnsworthy, vice-chairman of Hornsey Historical Society, who lives in Coniston
Road, Muswell Hill, became interested in collecting postcards because he wanted to capture
"the lovely place Muswell Hill was before the motor car came"
He started his collection of postcards of Muswell Hill, Hornsey and Highgate, as well
as the area of Wales where he grew up, 12 years ago when he retired.
The collection includes pictures of the now demolished St Xavier's Church in Alexandra
Park Road, taken in 1903, as well as the former Alexandra Palace roller skating rink when
it was used during World War One for Belgian refugees, and Alexandra Park racecourse at
the turn of the century.
Mr Garnsworthy, 63, came to London in 1957 to teach in Hornsey and was deputy head at
St James's school in Muswell Hill from 1964 until 1971.
He travels to postcard fairs all over the country, and even organises his holidays